Things I’ve learned thus far….
1. SELECTION OF PEN IS KEY:
All pens were not created equal and pen needs may change dependent upon what service you are on, at least in my case. I highly suggest those four color pens. I put discharge stuff in green (green means go ie going home), critical stuff in red, daily stuff in blue, vitals in black. However, if you’re rounding and not able to write on a surface, this pen isn’t great and you need a gel pen that you can write with easily while not on a hard surface.
For more on pen-ology: see this regarding the search for the one true pen.
2. EMBRACE THE BINDER RING
Most people aren’t into this but I learned it from peds residents as a student. I like having all of my lists hole punched and on a binder ring so they are all together.
So, between my perfect pen hooked onto my ID lanyard and my binder ring, I don’t look like a nerd at all each day.
3. JUST BECAUSE YOU ARE “SMART” DOESN’T MEAN YOU ARE ACTUALLY GOOD AT ANYTHING.
Yes, even if you’ve had 8 years of higher education, simple things can be really difficult. Like a patient in the OR or not having cord blood spray on your attending.
4. START TRAINING
You’re going to walk a lot. If you’re not in good shape, start spending all day on your feet as soon as possible.
Proof: My FitBit – I walked three miles at work the other day!
5. BRING SNACKS AT ALL TIMES
You never know when hunger and/or opportunity to eat may strike. Come prepared.
My fave snacks are Picky Bars. Shocking, right?!
I would like to take this moment to remind everyone that I was Picky Bars first online customer, which remains one of my favorite facts about myself. Why? Because if Picky Bars ever has an IPO, I’m using this bit of info for first dibs on those shares.
So, in honor of my THREE YEAR customer-iversary and my TWO YEAR Picky Club-iversary, I’ve having a little giveaway.
For a 10 box of Picky Bars in the flavor of your choice!
HOW TO ENTER:
1. Comment here telling me the next flavor you’d dream up for Picky Bars. I’ve been preaching a almond butter based bar with coconut in it for years. No one has listened. My 2nd suggestion is ginger. Lauren, are you listening?!
2. Follow @pickybars (and tell me here) and tweet what your fave flavor is to them using the hashtags #pickypower #pickylegacy
3. Follow @pickybars on instagram (and tell me here)
4. Follow @pickybars on pinterest (and tell me here)
5. Like Picky Bars on Facebook
Get to work, folks!
I almost just signed this post “R1 Smith, Discussed with Attending Dr.___” which is when you know work has really taken over your brain.
Until next time….