Remember how I said I “wasn’t going to do a marathon for a while” after Eugene?
I think I’ve said this after most marathons and, each time, I’ve made myself a big, fat liar.
Why? Because I’m going to run the 2013 NYC Marathon with Every Mother Counts!
WHY AM I DOING THIS?
My reason for joining the EMC team was simple. As an OB/GYN resident, maternal health is a cause close to my heart. On the labor floor, I often find myself thinking “what would have happened to this woman if she didn’t have access to care?” This short video juxtaposes the journey of two mothers reaching obstetrical care.
I have the privilege of working with mothers and babies every day and, in some small way, helping them have a happy, healthy pregnancy and delivery. But, how could I help make sure every mom has this experience, make sure that every mother counts?
Joining the EMC team was a no-brainer. I want to help make sure every mother counts.
WHAT IS EVERY MOTHER COUNTS?
In brief, Every Mother Counts is a campaign to end preventable deaths caused by pregnancy and childbirth around the world. The goal is to inform, engage, and mobilize new audiences to take action to improve the health and well-being of girls and women worldwide.
Did you know…
– 15% of all pregnancies result in a potentially fatal complication in labor and delivery.
– There are approximately 800 deaths per day from a complication of pregnancy and childbirth, making reproductive health the leading cause of death worldwide for women 15-44 years old.
– For every death, there are 20 life changing injuries. This means that approximately 7 million women each year suffer from post-delivery infections, disabilities, and other severe complications, like fistulas.
Think this is just a problem in developing countries? WRONG!
– The US ranks 50th in maternal health, even though we spend more per capita on health care than any other country in the world. [And see how Every Mother Counts has helped with its’ Commonsense Childbirth grant.]
We have the tools and the know-how to save these mothers, daughters, sisters, wives, teachers, doctors, caregivers and community leaders—if we make it a priority.
I’m hoping you can help EMC in any way, big or small! Here are some ways you can get involved.
1. You can donate here by clicking on the DONATE button on the right of my fundraising page to contribute what you can directly to Every Mother Counts Runners.
2. You can JOIN THE TEAM (run with me!) to become a fundraiser yourself and help us raise the much-needed funds and spread the word about this cause.
3. You can purchase an EMC t-shirt & gear from Oiselle.com and come out and cheer us on.
4. You can run in solidarity on November 3rd. Remember that any distance from 1 mile to 26.2 miles would be an amazing act of support of our mission. Every Mile Counts because Every Mother Counts.
Together we can make pregnancy and childbirth safe for all moms.